Pages

09 April 2010

Chicken Fever

Oh dear.  I've got it bad the rash, the cold chills, the hacking...CHICKEN FEVER!!!

The Australorps are growing like WEEDS! Stop thinking of the show Weeds....ugh.  I showed them to lady of the land today.  She exclaimed, "Man! They're HUGE!"  They've quadrupled in size and have started growing their combs.  And boy, are they FAST.


See that blur?  Yeah, that's how fast they are!  They are worse than trying to catch hampsters!  But I must confess, I am completely in love with them.  They have started scratching, pecking, flying, and making a wider range of communicative noises.  Currently they seem to be making this really happy trill and it's just darling.

So, I'm completely addicted.  I am going to have to get some more and go a little more fancy this next go round.  If I can convince Wolf we should get even MORE chickens.  He wasn't entirely thrilled with 10, but one of the orgininal 11 died.  And there will be some cockrels (roosters under a year old) that we will have to cull or they will kill each other.  I will probably raise those for meat, though the lady of the land doesn't seem to keen on killing her own food.  I'm not gun-ho, but I don't want to go hungry either.  Ya, that'll be a fun post....


On a non death related note, here is the new chicken house....


TA-DA!  It was an old playhouse, but makes a charming chicken house!  I need to frame the window out, make a window covering, and paint the door, but as it is it will suffice.  It's a little plain at the moment. Not to mention manly.  But it will serve it's purpose well for now!

I am really about to die to get this chicken:

Buff Laced Polish

One bad-ass chick, mow-hawk and all!


Isn't is just adorable!!  They are so absolutely ridiculous looking that I'm in love! The description says they act a little wacky because their plumage is so big that they cannot see!  Reminds me of myself at times!  Dern Southern Hair!!

Mille Fleur d'Uccle Bantam
Hilarious, isn't it?


I just want to cuddle it to death!!!

This is the Mille Fleur or the thousand flower chicken.  It is the poodle of the chicken world!  Their description says they are friendly and tame, but that their plumage takes until after the first adult molt to come in.  I think they are gorgeous!!  

We shall see, gotta get out egg production up and running first!


~Pictures are from My Pet Chicken.!