Pages

23 April 2010

Planting Fools

So this week I've been feeling ultra tired...like lay on the couch and stare into nothingness and worry about random things tired.  But then I remembered my "special" Aunt was visiting and since I haven't "seen" her in like 6 months I had completely forgotten our "relationship."  Anyway, I figured out the source of my tiredness.

And, oh yeah, that I have been planting for 5 days straight.  Not that I mind.  I love it!  I get in the garden and take my dirt trappers (Crocs) off and just wade around in the gardens barefooted.  It took a day to prepare the garden, two days to plant the melon garden -which has 50 seeds in it! Yeah, I don't know what the H I was thinking...I am going to be setting up my own personal melon stand by the road just to get rid of these things! 

I've actually been SO busy planting this week that I don't even feel bad about not doing the Wii Fit!  That seems like pie compared to the hauling, traipsing, and digging I've been doing!  But I really can't complain too much, dear patient reader, we both know that I am loving every single dirt and sun filled minute of it.  Wolf complemented me today on how well I've been running things (He has a class for work in which they are doing some volunteer work, which causes him to be away from home twice a week for 16 hours.  He also works second shift, so he really can't water the plants at dusk.  So it's up to me!) and said that he could actually see me doing this for the rest of my life.  That this is my niche.

I've been feeling that way for a while now, I just hope I can drum up the gusto to keep trucking through my Master's degree.  Part of me wants to try that arena out, but the realistic part of me knows that just isn't me...all yardstick swinging...  I love to learn, but sometimes I wonder do I really want to work under someone else rules?  This has been the delema for most of my after college life...

As usual, I digress....


So, I need to get some chick pics up.  I've decided on which cockerel I am keeping, Erp of course (ER-ER-ER-EEEEEEERP!)  And the others we are going to free range, which makes me nervous.  The Lord and Lady of the Land have two large dogs....that like chicken.  I am hoping that if we feed the cockerels in the growing melon gardens or just close to home, that they will not wander far.  I plan on leg banding them with the plastic spiral type.  I am thinking I can slip the adult size on over their toes and it will stay in place.  I know there will be a ridiculous amount of pecking, I just hope no enough to draw blood.  I will just have to try it and see.

We are definitely adding keets (baby guinea hens) in June.  I just contacted a local breeder today and put in an order.  Oddly, the are coming from the same area we got Surgeon.  I look forward to their de-ticking properties.  Which are ridiculous around here....  I am going to rear them inside and then put them in with the chickens...I hope the do all right.  They should be okay, the hens will just have started laying at that time

I am most excited about goats.  I have been ever since I saw my sister-in-laws farm for the first time.  When I went to her farm, I'd never even been close to a goat.  I took formal riding lessons as a pre-teen, but my parents never went to the Fair or anything like that.  She has Dwarf goats and they are cute!  But I have fallen in love with La Manchas.  Wolf and I will have the fence for them up in a couple of weeks and after we get everything set up, have the goats in their a few weeks later.

Speaking of which, I took Surgeon to meet the Lord of the Land's Alpine whether today.  This goat is HUGE!  He's even scared Wolf running around.  Rowdy loves to play with him.  Surgeon just growled and eye balled him.  I did an alpha roll, like a mother dog would do, to tell him "No!  That is not the correct behavior!!!"  He caught on fast, but still look warily at the goat.  It could have also been that I took him to a new part of the farm.  I just hope at 5 months old, he does decide to chew on our new milk goats.

That would be very very bad...