Pages

08 April 2010

Seed-mania?

I ordered some seeds today from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds (yes, I am still drooling over the glorious color semi gloss catalog).  I am proud to say that I did not go over budget...by too much.  Just a little...only a little.  


Oh and just so you know, I've never grown anything other than petunis that were started by Wal-Mart.  K?


Anyway, I started my order with Chichiquelite Huckleberries.  Yes, Huckleberries.  Like Huck Fin.  (Actually a cool name...for a kid...hummm Wolf vehnemently disagrees...)  You can stop rolling in the floor now.  But wouldn't you want sweet, purple berries - without the 5 year wait of blueberries - right outside your doorstep?  Yeah, that's what I thought. 


Makes the blueberry look whimpy...doesn't it?

Next on the list we have, Naranjilla.  Yeah, I have NO idea how the hell that's pronounced.  If you do please let me know...  But the description is what nailed me, "A really unique fruit from the Andes; delicious sweet-and-sour taste, orange flavor."  Sounds a bit like sweet and sour chicken got spiked by orange chicken.  What also drew me in what the whole "nectar of the gods" and "the most delicious that I have tasted in the world."  Really?  Well jumpin-je-hose-afat, let's give her a whirl.  It could have been Mr. J de Santa Gertrudis Siera (poor fella nearly as bad as naming a kid Huck....) of 1760 hadn't been out of the parish yard, ever.  

But it's said to make delicious juice and a pretty potted plant.  I don't have any of those, so why not?

They look a bit...furry to me...

You have no idea what kind of self-restraint it took not to order every single last seed of these:


Yes, that's right PINK bananas.  I may have to splurge (some more) and order them anyway.  Man the farm kids would get a kick out of these!  

While holding myself back as much as possilbe, the Yellow Strawberry caught my eye and attention.  I adore ALL things strawberry.  And just think you can make strawberry pies, jam, jellies - YUM!  Those little buggers have YET to sprout and I had to seed them with TWEEZERS!!!


Obviously, I enjoy and appreciate unusal fruits and apparently the more the merrier!  I also order some "plain" (read cheap) okra, called Emerald.  I also ordered a TRUCKLOAD of herbs.  And yes, of course I ordered Echanacia!  Gotta stay happy!