Pages

02 September 2010

Our little doe CJ is certainly living up to her name CALAMITY Jane, which dear faithful reader, if you are not familar with this term and are unaware if it's implications and you don't mind me schooling you for just a moment, I will provide the definition.  A Calamity is a state of deep distress of misery caused by major misfortune or loss. Sounds pretty serious to me.....



After wrestling with my bucking bronc for milk and having to catch CJ last night....

Oh, right...I left that bit out didn't I.

I had tied CJ out to let her work on some of the weeds that have overtaken the melon garden -eye roll- and to let her get a few extra nutrients and fodder because I want her to continue to grow up big and strong and healthy.  Well, this little doe believes she is smarter than any human on the face of the planet (typical teenager right?).  So, she goes into her bolting escape mode in which she charges from one end of her lead at full sprint to another.  This scares me.  I mean I am really afraid she is going to snap her skinny little neck.

There she is, freaking slap out and trying to get away from the big bad human.  Snapping her lead from left to right and left again.  Now,  I had gotten an extra plastic covered tie out that was lighter and would not hurt her to keep her from injuring herself.  The only problem was that one end would not open.  So, I attached the splitter we bought at the flea market, thinking that would hold her.  After her third mighty swing around the splitter popped and broke in half and she was free.

I ground my teeth.  Nothing irritates me more than an animal who thinks it is smarter and therefore better than humans.

I could not run inside and get grain, dusk was already settling and I am still freaked out by the wandering bear that mauled my neighbor's wether to death.  So, I simply opened the gate and she walked in on her own.  That was lucky.

So, after all of this dealing with a grain hog who wont let me milk her if there is no grain in front of her face and a crazy escape artists - I was tired.  And I did not pay attention to where and how the gate was shut.  I simply closed it up and came inside to relax and drink some milk, start pasteurizing some milk, and work on dinner (which has been bear bones at best this week because I have not been able to plan and shop for meals).

I didn't think two thoughts about the gate until this morning when I hear Wolf, "Babe, get up we have a goat loose and she wont come to me!"  So, this is how my morning started, getting out of bed to catch the escapee.

I slipped into my clothes fast.  Whipped a bit of grain into a scoop and hit the door.  And there was CJ standing in the old flowerbed munching away...thank GOD it wasn't my herbs!!!  She darted away from me three times so I finally just sat down and shook the grain cup.  She edge up to me, sniffing and wary as a deer.  She took a few bites and I shot my hand out grabbed her collar and hauled her back to her pasture mates.  Making sure the gate was TIGHTLY shut behind me.

Hopefully that will be the last of her adventures, but I believe they are the beginning of mine.